Hi! I woke up early for no reason. So you get a book post from me.

Over Thanksgiving break, I read:

Cleaving: A Memoir of Marriage, Meat and Obsession by Julie Powell. Considerably darker than its predecessor, Julie & Julia. The focus has moved off of Julia Child and onto her (real-life) affair. Unbelievably, she thanks both lover and husband in the acknowledgments.

Waiting for You by Susane Colasanti. Unapologetic yet intelligent teenage fluff. If you like YA fiction, this will hit the spot.

And those were all the books I brought with me...so I started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett, which was at my mother's house. I'd been put off by both its length (444 pages) and seemingly hackneyed subject (race relations in 1960s Mississippi). But it's a lot better than I thought it would be. I only have 100 pages left.

Comments

judy in ky said…
I hate the idea of Julie Powell and her affair. I'm glad I didn't know about it before I saw the movie. It would have made her a less appealing charcter.
Bearette said…
I think they delayed this book's publication for that reason...it was originally supposed to come out a few months earlier...
Perplexio said…
I've been reading Nick Hornby's Juliet, Naked. Thus far it's his best book since About a Boy... His last few novels didn't really grab me the way High Fidelity and About a Boy did. There's an emotional honesty in them that I can really not only relate to but empathize with.

Sorry, it's been awhile since I wandered over here. A lot of the bloggers who used to read my blog have stopped blogging. :-( You're one of the few that still seems to be posting with some regularity.
Bearette said…
Hi, Perplexio - I liked Juliet, Naked too. I agree with you on his last few novels before that. My blogging has declined a bit, too...I blame it on Facebook.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!