Today I got a pedicure. I think I've mentioned how much I love this. First you pick the color. I got "dim sum plum." It was a little lighter and brighter than it looked in the bottle, but I like it. It can be fun to make a change. There were 3 other people getting pedicures - all of them men! Two of them were gay, and probably a couple. The other seemed to be straight. I wonder why men get pedicures. They all seemed to be getting clear nail polish, which takes away most of the fun if you ask me.

While I had my feet in the bubbling bath I saw a truck go by. Written on the side were the words, "The details are not details. They are what makes up the product." I might be paraphrasing the second sentence, but you get the gist. I like this sentiment. I've traditionally been a big picture person (an "N" for "intuitive" on the Myers-Briggs test), but as I get older, I am realizing the importance of care, with regard to details. They really do make all the difference. I still don't believe in exhaustive, anal attention to them; but keeping an eye on them never hurts. I also believe in the importance of the Italian fa niente - in Italy, they devote a certain amount of time each day to "doing nothing". I think this is important for mental health.

Anyway, the point of this rather rambling post is - I think it's good to take some time and pamper yourself. Whether it's a pedicure, or getting your hair cut and colored, or wearing a nice dress (doesn't need to be super fancy, just pleasing to the eye), it can make a big difference in the way you feel.

Comments

This Suzy said…
So true! Glad you enjoyed the pedicure. :)
Lisa said…
One of the first things I did when I got back to the States was get a pedicure. I went with Austin-tatious Turquoise, in honor of my former city.
Bearette said…
Mine was Dim Sum Plum :)
Carolyn said…
Excellent point. Now you have me craving a pedicure. :-)
Bearette said…
You should get one :) They're so relaxing.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!