The pile

Here are my newest books. Out of last week's pile, I liked The One That I Want (about a woman who can see the future after visiting a gypsy. In the title, "the one" means "the life that I want", although honestly she isn't given much choice in the matter; she just sees what will happen) and Hothouse Flower (a really fun, original book about the "nine plants of desire" and a woman's journey to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, to find them).

The top book in this week's pile has a story associated with it. I was at Barnes & Noble, browsing, when a man who worked there asked, "Can I help you?" with more zeal than usual. I said, "No, thanks," and he said, "Come on." Then suddenly he pressed the book into my hands, saying, "This book was nominated for the Booker Prize, and since when does that happen with a comedy? It's pure joy," so decisively that I had to crack the cover. And what do you know, it did look good.

And then the cashier said, "You met ___." Apparently he recommends this book to everybody; and some people come back to get more recommendations from him.

Comments

Well is it the first or last author of your pile? I googled and both got bad reviews....
Bearette said…
Yikes! It's the first one that he recommended. I'm currently reading both the first and the last one, and they seem good so far...
don't feel bad, heck there have been books i liked but others haven't.. i just noticed what was said on google.. to each his own as they say.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!