Yesterday I witnessed some drama from a distance. I can't get too specific, but it made me think. At the core of the drama is a person who is very sweet and childlike, but she just can't take care of herself. She can't function, at least at this point in her life. (I do believe that, if we are lucky, life is long, and there are many opportunities to turn things around.) Anyway, viewing her predicament made me realize that it IS a good thing to grow up. That might seem self-evident to many of you, but our culture really does prize youth. Age and wisdom aren't as respected here as they probably are in China and some other places. But growing up really is worth it, even if you aren't as cute or carefree as you were when you were little. It's good to take responsibility. And I do hope she can eventually do that.

Comments

Rachel Federman said…
really a good point (hope you're not talking about me tho that could very well be the case)
Rachel Federman said…
BTW I am super crazily excited about yr restaurant - it has to be in Chelsea - a local thing - esp with the name Katie's I just think it could have so much personality and just be this gathering place...vegetarian Mexican does sound great but you could throw other stuff in there for sure.
Bearette said…
No no, not at all about you. Can tell you in person.
I actually came up with a menu a while back :)
Rachel Federman said…
i gotta see the menu
Rachel Federman said…
funny there are so many people i know that could apply to
Domestic Kate said…
I actually was thinking of writing a post about the benefits of getting older. I wouldn't want to be younger again, although it would be nice to feel physically younger.
Bearette said…
Yes. that's the only part i miss.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!