Rebel mom

I've become a terrible blogger, I know. So I'll tell you a bit about the toddler room. It's not in my building, but it's in one of the buildings in my complex. I've met another mother and her child there. I am intrigued by her because she is, well, a Rebel Mom. I described her to D as a "rule breaker."

She:
  • has been kicked out of the exercise room for bringing her kid there
  • campaigned for a trash can in the toddler room, which resulted in her being kicked off the committee (I know, that's a little extreme)
  • leaves her kid's shoes on in the toddler room
  • brings snacks into the toddler room, and if crumbs are spilled, says, "I hope that guy comes and cleans up this crap tomorrow"
  • has her kid drinking out of a bottle instead of a sippy cup
If you say "Rules are there for a reason," you are right (especially about the crumbs). Yet in this age of helicopter parenting, she makes me relax. I like that she uses a bottle instead of a sippy cup. So do I, after I weaned E. It was a big enough deal to get him off the breast, and he doesn't like sippy cups. So there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's just a tad absurd about the trashcan. I basically like to follow the rules when the rules make sense. I think kids in a fitness center is a bad idea because they can easily get hurt or hurt others. As for the crumbs and the footwear, it sounds like she's doing it intentionally: "If we had a trashcan in here, I'd be able to clean up, but since we don't, I'm going to make a mess and inconvenience others until a trashcan is put in." It's a little immature, but it might just work.
Roxanne said…
I think some people thrive on breaking rules and try to make a point of letting everyone else know that rules are beneath them. Like you said, it puts a little less tension on the typical mommy comparison games that go on in those situations. There's nothing more irritating than a mom who is trying to prove that she's THE BEST MOM EVER and everyone else should bow down to her greatness. (can you tell I just met one of these moms at the pool recently..hehe)
Bearette said…
Exactly! Thank you. The pool mom, coincidentally, sounds like good blog fodder :)
BabelBabe said…
i think i'd ike her!

Have you read Free Range Kids? You might like it...
Anonymous said…
Lion happily drinks water from a sippy cup every day, but will not take his milk that way. Milk in a sippy cup is politely (and sometimes quite impolitely)refused. So he's still getting three bottles a day, and I don't think it's a big deal. I mean, I want for him to go off the bottle because I'm sick of washing all those blasted Born Free parts, but other than that...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!