Vimala

Today D got a letter from a college friend who is in a monastery in Sri Lanka. The friend, whose name used to be K, now styles himself A. Vimala. I couldn't get through the letter, in his close, cramped handwriting, so D read it to me as I did my Sanskrit homework.

D has been urging Vimala to come back to "reality," e.g., a non-ascetic life in the U.S. Vimala ain't havin' it. Apparently, Vimala is half-assed about nothing. In college he was really into a girl named M and he dragged D all over town looking for the perfect rose for her. Unfortunately, she was into someone else. Now Vimala has thrown himself into the monk's life with equal zeal.

Vimala is urging D to visit him in Sri Lanka before Vimala moves on to the Himalayas, where he will meditate in isolation. Vimala went on, "Bearette is welcome to come too, though she would need to stay with the nuns and female laypeople, some of whom speak English." ??!?!?

I have to admire his single-mindedness. I also have noticed that meditation seems to be incompatible with modern busy life...that is, the more you get into meditation, the more you probably want to go to an isolated mountain setting. Or maybe they can be integrated. I don't know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Maintaining one's mental calm in an isolated Himalayan retreat, with nary a soul about and a glorious view...who *couldn't* accomplish that?

Now, show me meditation in the middle of Shea Stadium on a game night. From behind home plate. That'd impress me.

Actually, that would explain a lot about the Mets' season.

--Lobo
Liz said…
vimala sounds fascinating. i admire people with zeal. you two should go over there and bring the guy some bagels. ;)

sri lanka looks mesmerizing.
Bearette said…
Hehe...maybe we'll mail him some ;)
Lisa said…
I'm jealous. I want to run off to a monastary. Think they'd let me bring Rowen?
bdogg_mcgee said…
I have to say living a cloistered life and spending my days in quiet meditation sounds quite nice, for about a week. Then I think I'd go crazy...
Bearette said…
Hehe, maybe they have a separate doggie monastery ;)

Bdogg, I know what you mean, I'd probably get sick of it after a week or so.
Anonymous said…
Hi! Just catching up on the posts I've missed. I'm so curious about Vimala's quest! Where exactly is he staying? Are you guys going to go visit? Perhaps we can foursome a leg of the journey!
Bearette said…
Oh, we probably won't go. I can't get psyched about hanging out with nuns somehow. Too many bad memories from Catholic preschool, before my mother transferred me to Living & Learning.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!