Aarggh

I was really stressed out. But now I'm over it, I think. We had yoga orientation today. It seems a little Gestapo-ish. They are stacking on piles and piles of requirements. The other girls are nervous too. But D persuaded me not to take it too seriously, just enjoy it on my own terms.

My yoga buddy seems very nice. She's a little older, and has a dance background. She has a daughter in college and a son who's a lawyer. The whole law business scarred me more than I like to admit. I kind of get chills when it comes up. But time heals all wounds, right?

Her name is T. She was telling me that she has an Australian shepherd puppy, who is tri-colored. I can't visualize one of those but I bet it's cute. A friend of hers got a dog to pick up guys! I thought it was usually the opposite. I think women are more likely to pat strange dogs.

Here are some of the requirements we have to do:
- daily journal-ing (hello, blog! we don't have to pass this in)
- weekly writing assignments, which are supposed to be "a paragraph, a page". These I have to print out on the printer in D's office, but I can actually do this remotely, he says. From home.
- go to one kirtan (little parties they have where there is chanting and singing) and write about the experience.
- weekly buddy meetings - then write about it.
- weekly mentor meetings. My mentor seems very nice, and the 3 girls in my group (including my buddy) are nice as well. One of them wants to get laid off because her PR job is stressing her out!
- karmic yoga - give back to the community. I'm thinking I will volunteer at the soup kitchen where AT goes, if scheduling permits.
- teach one community class after graduation, which happens in December.
- written final and physical final
- reading from various texts
- 2 classes a week, 1 basic, 1 more advanced flow (and we have to have the teachers sign a sheet showing we attended!)
- a 5-hour class every Saturday and Sunday (in addition to the above)

I think that's about it. *Perspective*. I will not stress out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Daily journaling? A "kirtan"? What kind of New Age bull$#^& is this? You're supposed to be learning to teach YOGA. I knew an 88 year old master yogi, and I'm pretty sure he didn't have to do journaling, kirtan, or anything else of the kind.

--Lobo
Bearette said…
I know, it's harsh...but whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right? ;)
Anonymous said…
I suppose. Maybe if you Yoga-Slapped(tm) them enough times, they would conclude that it would be expedient to waive the requirements in your case.

--Lobo
Anonymous said…
I feel your pain. When I started yoga teacher training last year, I was overwhelmed by all the busy-work and requirements. It ended up stressing me out so much that I avoided yoga for a while. I think you have the right attitude about it, though.
Bearette said…
Oh, so I guess it's a common problem with yoga teacher trainings. I thought maybe this center was uncommonly intense. Thanks Crystal.
Anonymous said…
Wow, I just never would have guessed that yoga school would be like that. I bet you'll be really proud of yourself once you make it through!
Bearette said…
Thanks Liz :) That's a good perspective to have. Also, I think I'll feel very prepared to teach when I come out.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!