So yesterday, out of boredom, I tried a new Pilates teacher. Well, technically I'd gone to one of her classes, a long time ago. She said, "I'm feeling brutal" and really worked us hard. I felt as if my abs were separated from my body and being flogged. It didn't necessarily feel bad, though. I guess it's true you need to switch it up. My regular Pilates teacher is out of town...I'm very used to her workouts now. (My Pilates plug: it's good if you have a bad back...it strengthens your abs, which gives your back more support, and also strengthens your back independently of that).

Stepping down from my Pilates soapbox, I had dinner with D, A, and his new girlfriend, E. I feel I am getting to know E a bit better. When we got home I couldn't get to sleep. I was up till 4 and woke up at 9:20 to teach, so naturally I was a zombie.

The good thing about being a zombie is that it makes it easier to teach a basics class. Usually I err on the side of being too hard, but when I don't have too much energy myself, I do easy poses. This was at the studio where I'm starting from scratch (brand new slot, etc.) D came and so did a French woman I'd never met before. After class, she lay down underneath a blanket and fell asleep.

Tonight I'm teaching at the private club...the building is so swank that there is a man whose only job is to spin the revolving door for you. You don't even need to touch it. Anyway, at this class I have a woman who is older, but in good shape; a middle-aged woman who doesn't like to move around; and a new woman who is pretty good. I might try some new music there tonight. My yoga standards are Jack Johnson, Zero 7, Nick Drake and Madeleine Peyroux; tonight I might try out some Fleetwood Mac, Aberfeldy and/or my "Groovy 60's" compilation.

I'm a little depressed about world events. I read about the thwarted terrorist plot where they stopped some Al-Qaeda people at Heathrow from going to America. I feel bad that Britain has to deal with these people, too, and I feel bad for the passengers who had to throw away their perfume and makeup and were probably very scared as well. It all makes me want to be 8 again, when my biggest concern was what outfit to put on my Cabbage Patch doll and wondering whether I would like my teacher.

Comments

Bearette said…
Thank you, Capy :) It was fun to teach...
Anonymous said…
I understand what you mean about the whole Britain-terrorist thing. I understand the concern, but keeping people from carrying shampoo on airplanes isn't really getting to the heart of the issue. I get tired of us/them treating symptoms all the time.
Anonymous said…
Well said, kitkat. I completely agree. Nonetheless, the whole state of things is depressing.
Anonymous said…
I'm ashamed to say it, but my solution is to not watch the news anymore.

Glad your yoga teaching is picking up! I might like to try my hand at swinging revolving doors, if I get tired of librarianship.
Caro said…
I hate to say it, but I do the same thing as Liz!

Boo to insomnia. SJ had it last night too. You guys are kindred souls.
Bearette said…
Liz - Thanks! I used to do that too. Unfortunately MSN is my starter page so the headlines grab my attention :(

C - Hee. So you mean, I run around naked and wreak havoc...oh yeah, I guess so ;)
This suzy said…
As depressing as this news is, it's certainly better news than if the plan had actually been carried out. I have to remind myself of that.
Bearette said…
That's true; definitely.
verniciousknids said…
I'm gonna ignore the serious stuff and tell you...I never owned a Cabbage Patch Kid, but I did have a Furskin Bear!
Bearette said…
a Furskin Bear...that sounds cute! what is it, exactly? hopefully it didn't have real fur ;)
Ashley Beth said…
THE FURSKINS! Oh my gosh. That brought back a flood of memories!

There was a whole town of them, if I am remembering correctly. I think we had one named Duncan?? I think I am also recalling a song about them...
kj said…
i'm with everyone else in terms of being depressed about world events.

unfortunately, my two cents is that avoiding the mess is the worse thing to do. when possible,just talk and listen to other and think about changing direction in the mid term elections. the good old usa has lost its leadership, and that makes the rest of the world even shakier.

sorry to sound lectury-but at this sorry point it's got to start with each one of us, even in the little ways we can.

;(
kj said…
i'm feeling guilty. i think i may have violated blog etiquette. i've been posting comments on your blog without realizing that you probably don't have an interest in visiting my blog-neck of the woods.

my apologies for intruding without thinking! i'll cease my two cents.

best wishes, kj
Bearette said…
KJ - not at all! i don't always have a witty response to my comments, but i appreciate them all. so, comment away! likewise, i visited your blog but had nothing witty to say when i did...but i'll be back again :)
kj said…
thanks bearette. i was feeling insensitive. now i feel relieved!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!