Princess party

So today I went to a princess party. I know a lot of people are opposed to the whole Disney princess franchise; they think it gives girls unrealistic expectations of life, etc. There is some truth to that. But I think my attitude toward the whole princess thing can be summed up by what D said in Disney World: "It's fun if you don't think about it too much."

Outside the front door of the party, there were a group of Barbie dolls of all different styles, sort of like silent sentinels welcoming you. After all the children arrived, an actual, yes, princess arrived wearing a pink dress and a long blond wig (she took it off later and her hair was short underneath). Her main function seemed to be singing and dancing with the children. And it was fun. They danced to Mambo No. 9 and Macarena (songs I could actually recognize. I'm a little out of touch with current pop culture). Then the princess made balloons for them.

The funny thing is, I texted my friend B saying, "I am at a princess party," and sending a photo. She texted back saying that two years ago, she almost took a job as a party princess. I wasn't aware that they existed until today.

Comments

Roxanne said…
That would actually be a fun job! Unlike the clowns and magicians, you wouldn't have to learn any tricks. Just put on your fancy gown, a ton of make-up, a wig, and some dancing shoes. LOL! Glad you had a good time. I agree with the princess thing, too. Don't over think it and just let the kids have a little fun with their imagination.
judy in ky said…
On her fourth birthday, my stepdaughter had a "princess party" with a real, live Tinkerbell. She was very cute and the girls loved her.
I'm not up with pop culture either. I never liked Disney as a child because so many of their movies were sad, with animals dying or being mistreated. It depressed me.
This Suzy said…
One of my aunts wouldn't let my cousin play with Barbies as a child because she thought it promoted an unrealistic body type. I always thought that was kind of dumb. The child is really only going to get that message if that is what the parents put on them, you know?
Rachel Federman said…
to Judy: I remember someone saying pretty much every Disney movie begins with the main character losing one or both parents...

I agree about not overthinking princess thing

sounds fun

taking off wig and revealing short hair midway was a rather strange touch IMO! tho maybe good..to show just a costume, etc
Bearette said…
She actually took off her wig subtly in the kitchen and slipped out the door...i just happened to notice

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!