So I went to Old Navy today and got a dress, skirt, a romper for E, and socks for E. The romper says: All-American Hunk, 2009. I'm going to need a new bra for the dress - it has really thin straps so the somewhat sports bra-like nursing bra I've been wearing is not going to cut it, and my fairy-sized pre-nursing bras are out of the running. In the past, I would have just gone without a bra in it, but that is not an option. Big-breasted friends of the Internet - am I stuck with an uncomfortable strapless bra or is there an intelligent solution I didn't think of? At any rate, the dress was really cute so I figured it'd be dumb to pass it up due to bra problems.

I have mixed feelings about our move, which is imminent. The new apartment is superior in many ways. It's much higher up than the current one, so it'll be far quieter. There is no balcony to babyproof. The living room is about twice as big as the one we have now. We're going to have it painted in fetching colors. Et cetera.

But I will miss our big picture windows in the living room. We knew we were giving them up. During this whole process, we realized we could get a cramped 2-bedroom with the large living room windows, or a spacious one with smaller living room windows. We chose the latter. That's life, I guess.

Comments

Anonymous said…
they sell bras with clear straps... maybe that would work?

I have a Bravado nursing bra that I sleep in... it's heaven on earth
Bearette said…
not to sound like a total idiot, but where can you get the clear-strapped bras? is it the kind of thing you can get at kmart?
Anonymous said…
I don't know if kmart has them, but I know I've seen them in several stores (maybe Target? Kohls? Victoria's Secret for sure.). Maybe you could call a few and ask before you make the trip?

I have a strapless bra that was fairly comfortable (if memory serves, as it hasn't fit for quite a while!), but I always felt like it was going to fall down. It never did, though. :)
Bearette said…
Thanks! I think there's a VS near me. I have a strapless bra in my closet, but it's the wrong size.
Anonymous said…
It's never dumb to pass up a piece of clothing because you can't wear a supportive bra with it :-) I never ever wear spaghetti straps for this very reason.

Secondly, I used to see the clear straps at VS and Target, but I'm not sure if they're still around.

I think strapless is the way to go if you don't plan to cover up the straps with a cardigan or wear a camisole underneath or something. They do tend to be uncomfortable/ill-fitting, but if you get one that has optional and convertible straps/hooks (so you can wear it different ways), it could come in handy for multiple occasions at least. On second thought, I'm not sure that's a selling feature--it's uncomfortable, but you can wear it often!
Bearette said…
I think I have one non-nursing bra in my current size - maybe I'll go with that.
Anonymous said…
I'm with you, kitkat- I never buy anything with skinny straps because of the bra issue. But I wish I could!
This suzy said…
I'm thinking that surely there are larger bras with skinny straps somewhere. Can't say I know where, though, but I feel like I've seen them before. I never wear sleeveless shirts (a little too self-conscious for that) so it's not something I run into myself.
Tracy said…
I'm in the same boat with the other larger chested women... no spaghetti straps for me. Must wear bra! Hate strapless bras... but deal with them when necessary.
Not to be a negative nelly, but please don't wear a bra with clear straps if you can see them. I saw a girl with a strapless dress wearing a bra with clear straps. I almost threw up.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!