Anne of Green Gables alert

I picked up a couple of books today -- Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz (a light-hearted mystery series) and Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson. D was skeptical at first ("Is it written by a guy?") but I assured him it was written by a Canadian woman. The series could hardly be continued by an American or a man, now could it?

Purists may be offended, but it looks good and I'm looking forward to reading it. Of course, these continuators have an enormous advantage as long as they can write, because they have a cast of well-known characters and a legion of built-in fans.

Comments

blackcrag said…
For all that I'm a guy, I liked all three Anne books by Montgomery.

There were a couple movies based on the books, and a whole TV series based on Montgomery's Avonlea. It was called... wait for it... Avonlea.

I know you are an Jane Eyre fan, so now I know you are naming the baby Edmund!
Anonymous said…
Hmmm... I'm skeptical. You'll have to post a review when you finish the book.
Bearette said…
BC - Hee. After Rochester?

Liz - I thought you might be one of the purists ;) I'll see how it is. It is a gamble...
Bearette said…
Wait...I think Rochester was Edward. Although of course she called him Mr. Rochester for most of the book.
Mz.Elle said…
I saw that book (the Anne one)and was interested in it so I'll be looking forward to your review!
blackcrag said…
I might have my turn of the century authors mixed up. Maybe Edmund comes from one of the Bronte sisters?
Bearette said…
Silly, Jane Eyre was written by one of the Bronte sisters :) There's an Edmund in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, though.
blackcrag said…
How about Jane Austen then? I think that's who I meant.

You have to admit it is confusing when a woman author writes a book with a woman's name as the title.
Bearette said…
I think you're right; Mansfield Park has an Edmund.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!