Raspberry crumb cake

We had such a good lunch. It just needed to be posted about. We went to Angelica Kitchen; we haven't been there in ages because it's across town, but we figured out that the L train goes right there. Angelica Kitchen is a vegan restaurant named after the angelica herb (not related to pot, I don't think).

They have new specials every day, but if some of a special is left over from the day before, it is called "Still Special." They have terrible puns for the names of their other specials, but we will forgive them. We both got the Open Sesame, a nice, delicate sesame crepe stuffed with little squares of tofu, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and sundry other vegetables with a little bit of topping and broccoli spears on the side.

The real highlight, however, was the raspberry crumb cake with pecan cream that we shared. It was truly delicious, with a perfect light, moist crumby texture, studded with little raspberries. I felt a little bit like I was floating after I ate it :)

Tonight I am teaching 2 classes in a row, then I'll meet AT and D at the Ayurveda Cafe, which I have never tried before. Everything is prix fixe and the cuisine is vegetarian Indian. Prix fixe doesn't imply expensive here - it's a very reasonable place. You tell them whether you want brown or white rice, and which beverage, and then they bring you a bunch of food. You can also get "refills" on everything. D was excited ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yay! I'm looking forward to the Ayurveda Cafe, too. It's very simple, but yum ym.
Elsa said…
It looks like Angelica Kitchen has received lots of awards and accolades. I wish I was in NY to try the respberry crumb cake - sounds delic. You're so fortunate to have all these vegetarian and vegan restaurants all around you.

Have fun at Ayurveda Cafe.
jay lassiter said…
I need to eat vegetarian a little bit more.
I am not ready to commit to herbivorism all the time. But i am glad that there are interesting yummy alternatives for those times when , for example, i am hanging out with vegetarians . or when i just wanna pamper myself with something healthy.
Bearette said…
It's true that it's much easier to be vegetarian here than most other places! San Fran is good too.
Anonymous said…
Anything raspberry makes me drool. Thanks for making me slobber on my keyboard :)
Anonymous said…
How did you like Auyervedic caf?
A and I almost went there on Saturday night too! I met a friend from the upper west side who wanted Indian, and somehow we forgot AC existed and went to Saravaans (which I am obsessed with) instead. Then when we met up with A and he kept asking how could have forgotten the wonderful AC? Was it wonderful?
Bearette said…
T, I didn't think the food was gourmet or anything, but it was yummy. I also like the concept of a new menu every day and my mango lassi was quite good :)
Anonymous said…
Have you guys been to Vatan? There the menu is a new all you can eat every day, but the food is gourmet-esque.
Bearette said…
I did go there a long time ago. I think my favorite Indian resto is Jackson Diner :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!