Pass the dutchie pan, the left-hand side

Well, I did my first karaoke last night. (Singing in the car doesn't count.) MC and her husband rented out a room in a karaoke bar for her birthday. I gave her a copy of "The Makeup Girl" by Andrea Semple. I warned her that there is one disturbing scene in it, but otherwise I really liked it.

At the party, there was a slightly older crowd, which I like. D said nervously, "They're so serious and professional." As he said this, a guy with a shaved head was in a runner's lunge, singing theatrically into the microphone ;)

I sang a number of songs, including "Boys Don't Cry" with the shaved-head guy, who complimented me on my voice. There were a couple of girls there with Cameron Diaz voices. Remember "My Best Friend's Wedding"? I'll admit that when I shared a microphone with them, I hoped people could tell it wasn't me. Horrible, I know.

The chiro visit went well. I'm going back Monday and he said that should take care of it.

BTW, the title of this post is from a song from the "The Wedding Singer," and someone sang it last night. But does anyone know what it means?

Comments

Caro said…
I am probably confused about the song. But if it is the one I'm thinking of, there was a song that was popular in the 80's. Some little kids sang the chorus line.

It turned out they were singing a song about passing the bong around, or something like that. You must never bogart the bong, you know.

Not that I ever did anything like that when I was younger, of course. Ahem.
Anonymous said…
No idea, but I love that movie.

I've never been brave enough to do karaoke. I'm not nearly Mary, but I'm no Aretha Franklin, either. ;)
Lora said…
I've always wanted to do karaoke. I've had a few opportunities, but, to be honest, I've just to chicken to get up there and do it.

Mentioning Cameron Diaz and karaoke makes me think of "Charley's Angles" (the movie) in which she dances and sings along to "Baby Got Back"
I think it's the most hilarious scene of the whole movie.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, the song's the one from the 80s. The group claimed that they were talking about a pan they used for cooking and eating out of in Haiti or some country in Africa--I forget where they were from. But, I think we all know it's about a bong.
Bearette said…
hehe...i bet it's a bong then! someday you will visit me in NY and do karaoke ;)
SK said…
Well there's a great karaoke bar here called Lapa lapa, I think, Lora so at the next GABE we can do that! I'm a total Cameron Diaz when it comes to singing but I get really into it so you kinda forget that I sing like poo. :)

It's tons of fun when you have a big crowd. Oh, and booze helps :)
C. F. said…
There's no 'pan', it's "pass the dutchie on the left hand side..."\

And yes, it's about drugs. I always assumed a joint..but who knows...
Bearette said…
CF - Hmm. The karaoke lyrics on the screen said "pan", but some of the lyrics to other songs were wrong, so these could have been too.

ZS - I like the Cure CD Staring at the Sea. Haven't heard of those songs but I respect obscure tracks ;)
No idea what it means.

As for The Cure, they're one of those bands that I can't stand most of the stuff they write, but when they're good, they're good. My favorite two songs by them are really obscure - Play and This Twilight Garden from the High 12" single. I had to specially buy the CD from a Canadian dude because I couldn't find it anywhere here.

Never done karoake. I never hated anyone that much that I'd sing with a mic in front of them.
Lisa said…
I make Cameron sound good, but I've done karaoke. The trick is to find a song that repeats the same lines over and over and that everyone knows so that they'll sing along and drown you out. Buffet songs work well because they are verse, chorus, chorus, interlude, chorus and people will song along.
Anonymous said…
Here is a pretty good explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_the_Dutchie

Apologies if this is "like.. so yesterday. I'm so sure."

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!