Instead of reading my reviewers' copies, I dived into "A Women's History of the World" by Rosalind Miles last night. This was a recommendation from Bdogg.

It's one of those books that makes you angry, enlightens you, makes you wonder if all this is true, makes you wonder why you didn't know this stuff already, and above all, keeps you reading. I don't want to spoil it for anyone because I think you should all read it. One of my favorite parts of the book is how women were initially treated as goddesses because they had children (or "life flowed through them," as the author poetically puts it) and no one had figured out why. Women rock! Of course, there is a lot of dark and horrible stuff in the book too. But I'm impressed above all by how we just kept going.

Comments

bdogg_mcgee said…
I know!

I'm not all that far into it, but while I'm reading it I'm all, "What the hell?" and "Oh, that makes sense," and "Man, men are insecure!"

It's a great book.
Bearette said…
Me too. It's one of those books that you can't read without having a reaction. And then, later in the book (I'm almost done), she talks about how some women stood in other women's way, saying, "Oh, we don't need to vote...men are right, we're inferior" and I got so frustrated!! Then I started wondering, "Am I too submissive?" but D assured me I am one of the least submissive people ever. ;)
Anonymous said…
I'll have to check that one out!

I recently heard Cokie Roberts speak about her newest book, Founding Mothers. It's about the roles women played during the Revolutionary period, most of which went unrecognized. She was a great speaker... I wished she could have taught some of my history courses in college!

I used to think Benjamin Franklin was such a great guy for starting the first library in America. I have a different perspective now!
Bearette said…
Interesting! So was the first library actually founded by a woman?
Lisa said…
I've heard of that Revolutionary Mothers book. I'll have to add it to my library list.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!